Monday, August 16, 2010

The Bathroom - Day 1

So, without further delay, here are the pictures from Saturday.



Let me just say that this was one of the most terrifying things ever, initially. I mean, this is my house.  I paid quite a bit of money for this house, more money than I have ever spent in my entire life. As such, even though I knew that walls were going to come down, it was pretty scary to see it happen.  Like, really scary.  I apparently made some pretty hilarious faces, but I unfortunnately don't have any pictures of that.

But anyway, now that I've had some time to get used to it, I am really happy with how things went.  We (well, they, really - I didn't have much to do with it) got so much accomplished in one day!  And the things we found!  I now know what the house looked like before all this stucco and fake stones were stuck to it.  And I know that the doorway to the bathroom was not original to the house, since there was very old wallpaper underneath it.  I had originally though that the door might have opened to a porch or something, but I guess not.  I saved a few strips of the old wallpaper, I have to remember to take some pictures of it so that I can share it here. Also, under several layers of lineoleum, we found a very thin-slatted hardwood floor.  I am really excited about the clapboard and the hardwood floor.  I had pretty strong ideas about how I wanted to decorate the new bathroom, but now that I have found these things, I am getting new ideas that will better allow me to incorporate them into the design.  I am not sure.  I will make posts about both ideas in the near future.

My bathroom was not the only thing to benefit from the flurry of activity on Saturday.  My front yard was also spruced up.  That's how we found the baby bunnies!  Weeds were pulled, bushes were trimmed, ugly plastic fences were removed, and everything is generally improved because of it.  What a productive and exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment