Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gardening Update

I went to the greenhouse again on Saturday to buy flowers for the front yard.  I bought a bunch of stuff that, including columbine and snap dragons, to name a few.  Most of them are plants I don't really know anything about, I just liked the way they looked.


Unfortunately the weather channel tells me that it is supposed to rain basically forever (or at least until next weekend) so it will probably be a while until I actually plant them.  Especially since I have to pull out all the grass first....

Speaking of which, Chris and I finally dug out some space for the raspberry bushes.  It didn't take nearly as long as I expected, mostly because we only dug out circles around them rather than digging out the entire section of the yard.  I think this is a bad idea, since it will make mowing even more difficult for Chris.  He says he will just use the weed whacker around them, but I remain skeptical.

I also planted a bunch of marigolds around the perimeter of the vegetable garden in hopes of keeping the rabbits out.  About half of my baby corns have been nibbled, but that's not even the biggest problem.  Those pesky bunnies have been rolling around on my veggies!  Most of my broccoli, radishes, and and beets have been flattened into the dirt!  Those rabbits are jerks.  But I had a lot of luck last year using marigolds as a form of natural rabbit repellent, so hopefully that will keep them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment